Mission & Key Beliefs
At the heart of our school lies a deep love and respect for children at every stage of their development. We believe that each child is on a path to “becoming”; it is our privilege as educators to offer every child our full support along this path.
We honor each child’s individuality, while offering an education that helps the child develop socially, emotionally, and academically. We do this by providing a stimulating and beautiful environment in which our students feel safe to explore and make discoveries about themselves, their world, and their relationships while mastering skills that build self-confident, lifelong learners.
The parents and educators at MCS believe that children learn best in a community that is inclusive, respectful, compassionate, and filled with curiosity, and joyful discovery. We invite you to come to visit our school – we would love to share the magic of Montessori Country School with you.
Montessori Country School is committed to the Montessori method of education in supporting children to achieve self-discipline,self-mastery, and a life-long love of learning. We endeavor to honor individuality, nurture enthusiasm, and encourage independence in a carefully prepared environment where children learn with love, compassion, and respect.
- We believe that early childhood is the foundation for everything that follows. In the first six years of life, children develop beliefs and attitudes about themselves and their place in the world. They develop confidence and maintain a sense of wonder, and curiosity when they are in an environment that respects their individuality and their limitless capacity as learners.
- We believe that children hold the future in their hearts, minds, and souls and that education should be an “education for life.” It must provide the opportunity for children to learn in an atmosphere of respect, kindness, and belief in each child’s potential. Independence and autonomy are celebrated and supported.
- We believe the culture of MCS is one of its greatest strengths. It is a culture of respect, inclusion, warmth, curiosity, acceptance, collaboration, and joyful learning. We are a community of adults and children for whom learning is a life-long process. In our school, adults serve as mentors, friends, and guides.
- We believe that parents are a child’s foremost teachers and that parent education, support, and partnership play an important role in maximizing a child’s experience at school.
- We believe that mixed-age groups provide the optimum classroom environment. Our classrooms promote an atmosphere that is collaborative rather than competitive. Every child is unique and, as such, learns at his or her own pace based upon personal interest. A three-year age span offers modeling for the youngest children and the experience of being leaders for the oldest children.
- We believe in the Montessori theory of education. Based on the nature of human development, our authentic Montessori experience offers “a natural place to learn” for every child. This is a place where choice, movement, participation, and self-expression are integral to the child’s experience.